Sunday, March 4, 2012

Twenty Minute Increments

Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote many entries in her diaries about the difficulties of balancing writing and motherhood. She had a nanny and a cook, and a separate trailer or tent in which to write. The physical detachment was possible; it was the mental detachment that was difficult.

I'm guessing this is true for most mothers of small children. We know that the buck stops with us. At any moment, we may hear footsteps pounding up the steps, fists banging on the locked door, and a "Mom? Mommy? Are you in there?" Once again, our train of thought is derailed.

I don't want to be mentally detached from my family. They give shape and substance to my life, and they are the best thing that's ever happened to me. Still, someday I want to write in more than 20 minute increments with no editing.

That's what you're getting here folks: anything I can type up in 20 minutes or less. Right now I'm trying to shape future posts about tattoos, Mennonite cookbooks, green church paint, and life as an army wife. Maybe that'll happen when I can write for a giddy 30 minutes at a time!

1 comment:

  1. Soldier on! Your 20-minute contributions are satisfying as they are, and when you can eke out an extra 10 minutes, I will love to read about green church paint!

    ReplyDelete